My Top 5 Tips How To Style Your Ladder Shelves

Late last year I finally finished decorating my room and I have to say that this ladder shelf was one of my favourite home pieces; althouh for ages I didn't *quite know how to style it, I started by popping on a couple of books I was reading and some candles and before I knew it I'd kind of just filled the shelves to look how I wanted them to! I'm sharing my top tips on how to style your shelves!...

1.) Books, books and more books: Sooooo, I'm not sure if you noticed but I'm kinda diggin' reading right now, since 2016 I've been making a conscious effort to read more - I find it the perfect way to unwind of an evening and am averaging out at one book per week. I'm regularly taking to Twitter to ask you guys for recommendations (if you have any must-reads then PLEASE let me know in the comments as I'm all ears and due another book order!). On my shelves I tend to keep all of my non-fiction/currently reading/due to read books on one shelf, then on the one below I keep all of my business/blogging/motivational/cookbooks on the next shelf - just so I know where to head when I know what I'm looking for!

2.) Keep it colourful: I painted the walls of my bedroom white as I wanted a blank canvas; but I love to add colour in terms of cushions, bright prints and so on; and my ladder shelf is no different! I love to keep colourful books, plant pots, candles and even my Turtle from Barbados on there to break up the white and inject some colour into my room! If it suits the space that you're decorating then I'd definitely recommend injecting some colour too!

3.) Add some candles: I have an obsession with candles and counted nearly 20 in my bedroom alone when I first moved in; I've burnt nearly all of them and have about six left and most of them can be found on my ladder shelf waiting to be used. I love candles for decoration and will often keep the jars after the candle is done to decorate my shelves (especially those rose gold ones.. DAYUMMMM!).

4.) Add some personal touches: I'd definitely recommend to add some personal touches to your ladder shelves, whether it's a photo frame of a loved memory, or something you've collected along the way! I keep my turtle that I bought from Sandals in Barbados (which was set up by a charity to help support the turtles out there.. *sob) on my shelves as it always reminds me of a wonderful trip when I look at it!

5.) And some music: I keep my VQ Retro Radio on my bottom shelf; it has bluetooth so I can connect it up and play some music whilst I'm unwinding and reading a book, drifting off to sleep or catching up on some work - it looks super cute and sounds great too! When I by my own house I'm definitely getting one of these for the kitchen as they are just such a great home addition for any room in the house!

What do you tend to keep on your shelves? Anything in particular or just a collection of your favourite items? Did you pick up any tips in today's post?

1. Angie 4th April 2017 / 9:55 am

These are gorgeous! I bet your home is super stylish!

• Hayley 4th April 2017 / 11:56 am

Oh thank you love! 🙂 x

2. Vicki 4th April 2017 / 9:17 pm

Love your ladder shelves & how you’ve styled them – very stylish & clean looking. I always have so many photo’s on my shelves that can often look a little messy. I think I need to get better frames for them. Your retro radio is super cute & I adore those lightboxes too. I would forever be changing the message on it.

• Hayley 6th April 2017 / 10:22 am

Thank you love – I overcrowd mine too sometimes, just kind of put everything on there then have to have a clear out haha! x

3. Rosy 5th April 2017 / 8:22 am

I love these ladder shelves, especially for books, I’m absolutely book obsessed! I also tend to paint most of my walls white and add colour with accessories or a feature wall.

Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog
    My Instagram | Instagram

• Hayley 6th April 2017 / 10:21 am

Ah thank you love – god me too, can’t stop reading at the moment haha! Same, much prefer to add colour with accessories and cushions! 🙂 x

• Hayley 6th April 2017 / 10:20 am

Ah thank you love- it surprisingly doesn’t take up that much room so definitely check it out! 🙂 x

4. Gabrielle 5th April 2017 / 8:49 pm

Adding candles is a great idea and one I’ll always be keen on (any excuse to buy more candles, right?!). The WIld Orchid & Honey candle featured in this post so gorgeous; the jar’s design is perfect!

aglassofice.com
    x

• Hayley 6th April 2017 / 10:20 am

Ah thank you lady – so lush isn’t it?! Can’t believe it’s from Primark; their home stuff is the BOMB! x

5. Jenny Cole 10th April 2017 / 8:45 pm

I love how you’ve decorated these shelves – they look so pretty with all the different colours and mixture of personal bits. I can’t wait to have my own place one day so I can decorate it and make it all pretty!

Jenny xx

• Hayley 11th April 2017 / 7:26 am

Ah thank you lovely lady! Haha same, pretty much the main reason I want to buy a house is so that I can decorate! x