I Left My Heart In New York

Yup, you read that right, I left my heart in the big Apple.

I'm sitting writing this post in the lounge from JFK, so technically I've not even left the country yet but I already feel like there's a whole in my heart. YES I'm being melodramatic but I JUST LOVE NYC, K?! And so, that's why I'm sitting here making online purchases to make myself feel better LOLZ.

I've come to the end of my 6 day solo trip to New York; which you guessed it, is my favourite city in the world. I honestly had the BEST time, and oh boy do I have SO much content to share with you all, there's going to be lots of tips and advice about solo travel coming right your way gal pals.

But right now, I need to talk to you about my love for the city, how it feels like home and how it will be my home one day.

I wandered the city until my feet had blisters (and epically stacked it on the snow.. TWICE), I walked the Brooklyn Bridge, worked from the NY public library, watched a show on broadway, read three books during my trip, browsed MoMa on a Sunday afternoon, ate Shake Shack, shopped, then shopped a little more. I honestly had the most epic adventure and it honestly wouldn't have been the same if I hadn't of travelled alone, it just felt so right.

I spent six days getting to know the city, to understand the subway (TBF not sure even a New Yorker fully understands how that bad boy works!), learnt the districts - learnt were I loved, and where I didn't love so much, at the end of the six days I was talking about districts and subway stations like they were home. But the thing is, I had my bearings and I knew where I was going. And I loved it.

It felt like home.

Ever since I was a little girl, one of my biggest dreams has been to live in NYC. I remember always thinking - I'll live there one day. That big city, with bright lights, that never sleeps. One day I'll call that place home.

And whether it's for 3 months or 3 years, I'm determined to call that place my home, to really get to grips with the city and live it like a local. That's why this year I'm making it my mission, to work hard; save harder and I'm even more in love with the idea calling that city home.

Because, home is essentially where the heart is, and New York; you'll always be home to me! <3

Do you have a dream to live abroad one day? Where is your dream destination to live? Have you been to NYC before or travelled solo?

1. Josie 17th February 2017 / 7:44 pm

I love this post Hayley, best of luck with your goal! I’ve never been to NYC (I KNOW!) but I definitely want to go one day x

Sick Chick Chic

• Hayley 19th February 2017 / 7:19 pm

Ah thank you lovely lady – I hope to achieve it this year, if not next! You would absolutely LOVE it – honestly such a dream! x

2. Carina 17th February 2017 / 8:17 pm

I haven’t visited New York, but I would love to, it looks so magical! I left Bucharest to study in Vienna and after five years moved to Milan, but would love to move again to another country.

xo

• Hayley 19th February 2017 / 7:20 pm

Carina you would love it, such a vibrant, fun city! Wow, sounds like you’ve had the best time love – I’d love to experience it too! 🙂 x

• Hayley 19th February 2017 / 7:23 pm

Thank you Valerie! 🙂 x

3. Emma 17th February 2017 / 10:31 pm

This post makes me want to do a solo trip of my own so much, I definitely need to do it this year! I would love to visit NY at some point, probably not this year but soon!

Emma | HarmonyBlaze.co.uk

• Hayley 19th February 2017 / 7:23 pm

Girl you would honestly love it so much, so much freedom – I absolutely loved it! 🙂 x

4. Kerstin 18th February 2017 / 11:06 am

First of all, how babe is that first picture! Girl you look absolutely amazing. And I’m so happy that you enjoyed NYC so much. Good luck with your saving and hustling, you totally deserve to go there and experience that New York life for real. I totally get what you’re saying because for me it’s the same with London. Just freaking love that city.

Love, kerstin

• Hayley 19th February 2017 / 7:24 pm

Oh girl YOU! Thank you so much lovely! Really hope I get to do it this year, and if not definitely next 🙂 Let me know when you’re in town – would love to meet you! x

5. Suze - Luxury Columnist 18th February 2017 / 11:21 am

Can’t wait to see what you got up to – I love the art in MoMa too! Great pic of you as well

• Hayley 19th February 2017 / 7:41 pm

Thank you Suze! 🙂 Same, it’s my favourite museum! x

6. Kate-Louise 18th February 2017 / 7:30 pm

Such a babe <3 I would love to visit New York again, its such a beautiful city x

• Hayley 19th February 2017 / 7:41 pm

Ah thank you lovely one! Isn’t it just?! Definitely my favourite! x

7. Heather Mcknight 19th February 2017 / 10:50 am

I would absolutely love to visit NYC but it’s just so darn expensive! Hopefully one day I’ll be able to visit and see what all the fuss is about!

Heather, heathermcknight.com

• Hayley 19th February 2017 / 7:49 pm

Completely agree that it can be pricey love, although there are definitely ways to do it cheaper! Will put together a guide ASAP 🙂 x

8. Amy 19th February 2017 / 1:02 pm

I’m so glad you had a great solo trip and I really hope you get your dream of living there one day! I’m actually a bit of a home bird so I can’t imagine living anywhere other than the UK, but I do have a new obsession with moving to York if that counts haha!

• Hayley 19th February 2017 / 7:50 pm

Ah thank you love, so do I – determined to make it happen, would be the absolute dream! Haha love that girl, we all have a dream in our own way and I hope you achieve yours! <3 x

9. Beth Norton 19th February 2017 / 5:39 pm

Girl I couldn’t possibly relate to this post ANY MORE. I have absolutely always wanted to live in NYC, it really is the most beautiful and magical city to me. There’s nowhere else quite like it.

I’m really hoping I too can live there within the next few years, even just for a couple of months. It seems so full of opportunity and it just feels right every time I visit.

Here’s to hoping we can both make our dream come true!

Love always.

Beth x

• Hayley 19th February 2017 / 7:51 pm

Oh lady, your comments always make me smile! I could absolutely see you living there girl, you’d have the best time! Here’s to making our dreams come true my love! <3 x

• Hayley 19th February 2017 / 7:51 pm

Eeeee, thank you lady! <3 x

• Hayley 20th February 2017 / 10:58 am

Ah thank you lovely! 🙂 Working on my posts now! x

10. Chloe 25th February 2017 / 4:59 pm

Sooooo so so so lovely to hang out with you in NYC. Really pleased you enjoyed your time out there. I loved it too! Here’s to more solo travels girlie xx

11. Primrose Bigwood 27th February 2017 / 6:26 pm

SO inspiring girly! I’d love to go on a solo trip – especially to NYC! So glad you had the best time x