10 Tips On How To De-Stress

My top 10 tips on how to de-stress! - Words & pictures by Hayley S...

dsc00073
Life can get a bit too much sometimes, whether it’s work, friends, kids or relationships. Here are 10 tips to help you de-stress and maximise that much needed feel good factor!...

1.) Go Outside - The best way to beat that panicky, trapped feeling is to go outside. Fresh air helps regulate your breathing and the open space means you no longer need to feel enclosed with no escape. Best advice – look up at the sky. It makes you realise just how big and open the world really is; there is no need to feel suffocated by it.

2.) Take a bath - Not only does having a bath allow you time to yourself, but in the run up to Autumn/Winter there is nothing quite like a hot bath with bubbles, scented candles and a bath bomb or two, to help you relax. Adding a glass (or bottle) of wine to this scenario is of course entirely optional.

3.) Exercise - I know, I know! The last thing you want to do when you’re stressed out is to go and hit the gym. However, through exercise your body releases endorphins which not only reduce any feeling of pain but also trigger a positive feeling in the body. Think of it as morphine, but without the drugs.

4.) Be Selfish - It’s ok to say no sometimes. If you don’t want to do something and are stressing yourself out about what excuse to use, or how to suffer the next couple of hours with a smile on your face, you really don’t need to. It’s ok to say ‘it’s really not for me’, or ‘I don’t really fancy it’. True friends will understand and won’t pressure you into doing something you really don’t want to do. You never know, they might not be so keen either.

5.) Treat yourself - It’s ok to treat yourself every now and then and you shouldn’t feel guilty for doing so. This of course all depends on your budget, whether you book in a massage, have your nails done or simply pick up a new lipstick, treating yourself every once in a while encourages that feel good factor.

6.) And sleep well - As much as we tell ourselves we’ll just watch one more episode of The Walking Dead, or that there are only two more episodes until the next season of GOT, it’s important to get an early night. For every hour of sleep you get before 12am, you will feel as though you have had two additional hours of sleep (it’s been scientifically proven people) – keeping those energy levels up and keeping those bouts of tiredness and impatience at bay.

7.) Unplug yourself from technology - 68% of people take their phones to bed these days; I am guilty of being one of them. However, this makes it harder for us to ‘switch off’ and get a decent night’s sleep. Our over dependence on technology also means we struggle to focus on the moment, there is so much that we miss going on. Not to mention the constant comparisons we make via social media; what we should look like, what things we should have and where we should be living etc. Switching your phone off for 24 hours could mean extra sleep, more time for you to enjoy the moment and a boost in self-esteem.

HOW DO YOU DE-STRESS?

We'd LOVE to hear your top tips on how you de-stress, make sure you share them with us in the comments below!

Do you use any apps to help you achieve mindfulness and a less stressful life? We're always on the look out for new ones to download so comment below!

8.) SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVITY

If you’re feeling down don’t isolate yourself. Surround yourself with positive people. If it is meeting up with an old friend for a coffee, going home to your folks one evening for dinner or just picking up the phone and calling someone. Speaking to someone can be a good distraction from your troubles. Plus remember the old saying, a problem shared is a problem halved!

9.) WRITE IT DOWN

If you’re lying there awake at night with things playing on your mind, write it down. Especially if you’re worried you’re going to forget something that you need to do the next day. Writing it down means you’re reminded first thing when you wake up and don’t need to lie there fretting that you aren’t going to remember. Another great way to separate yourself from your phone and technology too!

10.) AND BREATHE

Breathing exercises help regulate your intake of oxygen, which reduces that suffocated panicky feeling. It also reduces heart palpitations, tightness in the chest and panic attacks if you happen to be prone to them. You can always download an app which gives you specific breathing exercises to try… for the best, visit our previous article rating our top 5 Wellbeing Apps!

So there we have it, my top 10 tips on how to de-stress! What are your top tips? Anything here that you found useful or do already? I'd love to know!

HEY YOU!

Sign up for our Feel Good Friday monthly newsletter featuring our 3 bloggers of the month, our app of the moment & a GIVEAWAY! TGIF anyone?!

1. Gabrielle 31st October 2016 / 10:41 am

I always soak up any blog post with tips on how to de-stress, relax and generally unwind. Exercising is a great tip, I workout daily but tend to turn it up a notch when I’m stressed. I’m 100% taking your advice to treat myself in future, by the way! haha 😉

aglassofice.com
    x

• Hayley S 31st October 2016 / 1:59 pm

I find motivating myself to exercise the hardest, treating myself though is something I find perhaps a bit too easy! Xx

• Hayley S 31st October 2016 / 2:00 pm

It’s the best thing for you, even though it’s the hardest to do! Love a good vent though, definitely helps xx

• Hayley S 31st October 2016 / 2:16 pm

Exercising definitely makes you feel less uptight, you can channel all your frustration and aggression into it. Plus working harder, means better results! Xx

2. Jayd Alice 31st October 2016 / 1:32 pm

I always rolled my eyes at people who told me to exercise to de-stress but I’ve been doing this before anything else for the last month and it’s worked wonders! It’s so incredibly therapeutic to me now to put my headphones in and get that adrenaline pumping x

Always, Alice

• Hayley S 31st October 2016 / 2:17 pm

Glad to hear it’s worked so well for you lovely! I need to try exercising more, especially after a tough day in the office! Xx

3. Carrie 31st October 2016 / 3:22 pm

Exercising is a great way to de-stress! Exercising always makes me feel so much better. I also think that surrounding myself with positive people is a big factor in de-stressing as well. Having people to talk to can really put everything into perspective.

Carrie | http://carrieelise.com/

• Hayley S 31st October 2016 / 3:35 pm

Totally agree with you! Having someone impartial to speak to can really put things into perspective. Xx

4. Jalisa 31st October 2016 / 3:43 pm

I couldn’t agree more with all you’ve suggested here, girlie, though I’m guilty of not doing some of them, such as putting my phone down more. It’s so hard because when I feel that I am, then the people I’m with will grab theirs and then I just feel awkward not having mine, so I take mine back out, lol. So, my hubby and I try to catch each other and call each other out on it, so we can truly embrace the time spent together. Thanks so much for sharing, beauty, and I hope you’re having a great start to your week so far!

XO,

Jalisa

• Hayley S 1st November 2016 / 12:45 pm

Thanks lovely! I know! You don’t realise until you consciously think about it, how much time we all spend on our phones. I especially call my mates out on it, particularly when we go to dinner and everyone is sat round the table completely ignoring each other!! Xx

5. Ariadna 31st October 2016 / 10:07 pm

Whenever I am stressed I like to get out of the house or to go to they gym and sweat for a bit haha x

Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

• Hayley 1st November 2016 / 12:26 am

Everyone is different, some things work for some people and not for others. Do what’s best for you, if sweating it out helps you wind down, then sweat it out girl! xx

6. Eleanor 1st November 2016 / 11:09 am

Taking time to just breathe helps more than people realise! I was spectacle about exercise too but it makes you feel so much better x

eleanorfrances.com

• Hayley S 1st November 2016 / 12:47 pm

It really does help, doesn’t it?! It especially helps if I get stressed in the office, I’ll just pop outside and take a few deep breaths before going back in again! Xx

7. Amy 1st November 2016 / 11:52 am

Exercise definitely makes me feel so much better – I think because while I’m doing it I tend to forget about everything else! And getting outside is such a mood lifter!

• Hayley S 1st November 2016 / 12:51 pm

Fresh air can do the world of good! And as difficult as I find it to get motivated to do it, exercise is really good for your mind, as well as your body! Xx

• Hayley S 1st November 2016 / 12:51 pm

You’re welcome lovely. Xx

8. Rachael 2nd November 2016 / 3:15 pm

Some great tips. I love my job but I have an all day visit to shops with my manager next week and the thought of it immediately makes my shoulders tense up! Thanks for the tips! Can feel them coming back down already!!

Rachael xox

• Hayley S 3rd November 2016 / 10:06 am

Glad to have helped lovely. Make sure to keep them in mind next week. Hope all goes well! Xx

9. Jenny Cole 5th November 2016 / 6:11 pm

I totally agree with unplugging for a bit. I find things like social media can make me feel really stressed out, so turning off my phone and laptop, reading a book and taking a nice bath is so good. I love to colour, go for a massage or have a bit of a pamper if I’m ever feeling stressed out too 🙂

Jenny xx

• Hayley S 5th November 2016 / 10:07 pm

I am a colouring fiend! Your right, it’s really calming. I particularly love the Johanna Basford adult colouring books Definitley worth getting one or two if you see them! xx

10. Jennifer 6th November 2016 / 2:06 pm

Fresh air and getting a good night’s sleep are definitely my fave ways to destress, and for those acute moments, just breathing really deeply 10 times helps so much!

xx

• Hayley S 8th November 2016 / 10:34 pm

Getting a good night’s sleep definitely works wonders. I just need to resist watching one more episode of something on Netflix and then I might actually get a good amount of shut eye!!! Xx

11. Elena Isabelle 7th November 2016 / 6:33 pm

having a long lush bath is what relaxes me instantly. some comfort food after and its all good again.

• Hayley S 8th November 2016 / 10:35 pm

Love Lush! I just bought two new bubble bars from there today actually. They’ve got all their Christmas bits in!! Make sure to check it out!! X

12. Laura 8th November 2016 / 7:47 pm

Thank you for sharing these tips 🙂 I like to de-stress with sheet mask and a cup of tea x

Laura
    Pink Frenzy

• Hayley S 8th November 2016 / 10:37 pm

I’ve got more into a cuppa lately. Especially now it’s getting colder. Curling up with a good book and a hot drink is really calming. I love a hot chocolate too though or just treating myself to one of the Costa or Starbucks Christmas drinks. I recommend a salted caramel cappuccino. SO GOOD! Xx

• Hayley S 16th November 2016 / 10:20 am