On my latest expedition I was lucky enough to meet Tara Stiles which if you don’t know (you really should) is the founder of Strala Yoga, this style of yoga moves way beyond poses, it is a way of being, moving and healing. It helps you move in a way of which feels good and helps connect you with the way you feel. I had the advantage of joining Tara in two of her Strala Classes which are part of FIT at the W Hotel in Amsterdam which flips the traditional idea of working out on its head with a non-traditional way of working out while on the road and let me tell you, the experience was incredible and that’s coming from me, Miss bloody bone idle!
Pulled from my interview with Tara and some things that work for me, I’ve put together a few tips and tricks that can keep you fit and healthy on your jollies and you barely have to get off your arse...
1. Keep your meals clean and simple, always take water wherever you go. A few healthy snacks are great to have to hand too.
2. Walk. If where you’re going is walk-able then do it, think twice about taking a taxi or getting in your car.
3. Take part in a class like Strala Yoga, it’s extremely relaxing and winds you down after a long day of sight seeing.
4. Fill your room with healthy produce. Head to the nearest grocery store and stock up on fruit and veg to snack on instead of the sweet treats in your mini fridge.
5. Pick a hotel with an inviting Gym, the W Amsterdam gym is beautiful and very pleasing on the eye. You don’t exactly have to do a full blown workout, but maybe just sitting in the gym and doing some simple stretches and Yoga moves can pump you up for the day ahead. There are plenty of 10 minute workouts on Tara’s Youtube channel!
How do you keep fit and healthy while travelling? I’d love to know what your top tips are!