17 Things I’d Tell My Younger Self

17 Things I'd Tell My Younger Self

Ooooooooof what a post girls! If you’re anything like me, I’m sure there’s so much you’d love to tell your younger self (tbf I struggled to narrow everything down!). As a teenager, I was a little socially awkward, I worried; ABOUT EVERYTHING ALL OF THE TIME, I didn’t know what I wanted to do when I left school (did any of us?), I was never quite sure of myself, or how I looked, or what my style was. And the list could go on. As I’ve grown older (not that I’ve got my shit together by a long shot), but I’ve learnt to love myself, I’m more sure of myself (most of the time anyway), and I learnt to not give a f**k about what people think (comes with age girls I promise you!), so if I could rewind time, here’s what I’d tell my wee self…

1.) No-one has really their shit together, contrary to what they want you to believe, because any one thing can change a plan or vision in an instant. Just know that you’re meant to be exactly where you are right now, focus on your journey and let the rest unfold.

2.) Where what the hell you want and OWN IT GIRL because it doesn’t matter what ‘they’ think, or what ‘everyone’ is saying behind your back. Confidence is the most beautiful power a woman can possess.

3.) GET YOUR GOD DAMNED FOUNDATION COLOUR MATCHED WOMAN!

4.) You’ll never really fit in, but that’s okay, because standing away from the crowd is way more fun anyway.

5.) You love your best friend more than life, and you chose well because 13 years on she’s still your sissy from another missy. You took the ‘lesbians’ comments on the chin because people were jealous of your close friendship. You’ll live the highs and ride the storms together, side by side.

6.) Von Dutch was never your thing, nor was that Scott hoody you always wanted, or those faux Burberry hair scrunchies, or the school shoes with the diamonte buckle, or the rara skirts. Oh my, I’ll leave that there for you all to LOLZ.

7.) Life isn’t all black and white. It seems so much simpler at your age but you’ll learn about the grey areas too.

8.) Those super long acrylic French manicure nails probably weren’t as cute as you thought!

9.) Don’t worry about the bullies, it’s their own insecurities which drive them to be mean. They’ll come crawling back asking for favours when your career is doing well in a few years time. But you owe them nothing, never have and never will.

10.) Loreal Dream Matte Mousse was NOT the foundation for your oily skin. You looked like a victoria sponge. And it was TOTALLY the wrong shade. Oh, how you’ll learn.

11.) It was NEVER ideal to roll your school skirt band up 4 times. Especially when you’re 5 ft 8. Strong idea girl.

12.) You’re going to have to kiss a lot of frogs girl before you finally found your prince, so prepare!

13.) WHY didn’t you take Geography? Because you love to travel, it makes you feel alive, but you have the world sense of geography EVER.

14.) I’m still impressed that you know all of the words to DJ Lucks and MC Neat’s Hit Em With A High.

15.) Haters gonna hate, and there ain’t much you can do about that. But DW babes, half of them had no interest in building a career or future for themselves, being the ‘cool’ kid was all that mattered to them. Keep your head down and work hard because you’ll shine brighter.

16.) adidas Stan Smiths were always your bae. Good choice, because 10 years on they still are!

17.) It doesn’t matter that you have NO idea what you ‘want to be when you grow up’ you followed your heart and it turned out A-okay!

What would you tell your younger selves ladies? Anything you can relate to in this post? Please tell me someone else had the same fashion faux pars as me?

1. Emma 31st July 2016 / 2:47 pm

I think I can relate with most of these – one thing I would say to myself is that in years to come it will be cool to wear sunglasses, I guess I was just ahead of the game!

Emma | HarmonyBlaze.co.uk

• Hayley 3rd August 2016 / 1:51 am

Haha definitely love! x

2. Erin 31st July 2016 / 4:29 pm

1. it iz nt kl 2 spk lyk dis.

2. Foundation, makeup.. it all. But mostly learn what a makeup brush is, those eyeshadow sponges do not help.

3. Appreciate your Mum, you see her as only a Mum and not a person, she is one, and has raised you single handed. Be grateful.

Loved the post, and can totally relate to most, 17 year old selves are so consumed by what others think of them than their own opinions on themselves, its sad to look back!

• Hayley 3rd August 2016 / 1:52 am

Hahahaha oh god I KNOW – what were we thinking to abbreviate everything?! I completely agree love, it’s funny how we probably wouldn’t even have listened at the time but it’s just something that we learn with age! x

3. Amy 31st July 2016 / 5:05 pm

Ha when you were describing what you used to be like in the first paragraph I was literally like ‘YES THAT WAS ME’ and it literally was, I’m so glad I’m a bit older even though I’ll probably always be wishing I’m younger from this point onwards haha.

• Hayley 3rd August 2016 / 1:53 am

Weren’t we all babes? Haha! Definitely, we just learn so many valuable lessons with age! x

4. Yvette 1st August 2016 / 9:40 am

It’s nice to read post like this because it shows how much we have learned and how we could now look back in the past and just smile (and or laugh) over our mishaps. Everyone of us could totally relate.

• Hayley 3rd August 2016 / 1:54 am

I completely agree – we can see how far we’ve come too and how much we’ve grown! x

5. Immy May 2nd August 2016 / 4:33 pm

Aaah I love this post SO much! I might have to do the same… So much wisdom I could share with my younger self, some stuff she would have been SO pleased to hear as well haha! I reckon I would appreciate tips from my 30 something year old self too, but just going to have to get on with it! Weird to think that, isn’t it? Immy x

• Hayley 3rd August 2016 / 1:54 am

Ah thank you lovely lady! Definitely, it’s something that time and experiences will teach us! x

6. Gellie 12th August 2016 / 3:08 am

So much feels when you said, “You’re going to have to kiss a lot of frogs girl before you finally found your prince, so prepare!” I also posted a similar blog entry before although I called it, “A Letter to my 16 Year Old Self.” I told myself to not be afraid of falling in love but to also always be reminded that love is not a unique feeling. One can fall in love even with the person who’s unhealthy for her or meant to only break her heart but they will all leave an important life lesson so just chill. Hope you’re having an amazing week! 🙂

xoxo,
    Gelleesh.com

• Hayley 12th August 2016 / 3:09 pm

SO glad you can relate to this lady – there’s so much we learn through life experiences that we never could have prepared ourselves for! x

7. Kerstin 12th August 2016 / 10:46 am

Oh I love these kind of posts. Also I can relate to most of these. We’re so naive when we’re younger, aren’t we?

Love, Kerstin

• Hayley 12th August 2016 / 3:08 pm

Ah thank you lovely – it was a fun one to write! God, weren’t we just? But life experiences make you SO much wiser! x

8. The Sunday Mode 13th August 2016 / 10:52 am

Loved this! There is honestly so many things I’d tell my younger self (well, teenage self to be specific) but I think that number 1 just in general is something I hope I’ll remember at any age in my life!

9. Valentina 14th August 2016 / 8:57 am

Love this collection. Thanks for sharing.

Kisses from Berlin