You Don’t Drown By Falling In The Water, You Drown By Staying There – A Life Update

“You Don’t Drown By Falling In The Water, You Drown By Staying There” – Edwin Louis Cole

Boy, does it feel good to be back!

I’ve not blogged in around 10 days, and for some that might not seem a lot but for me it is. I think it’s the biggest break I’ve had from blogging since I started, apart from when I was going through a break up earlier this year.

I couldn’t have needed the time off anymore. Christmas and New Year was a weird time for me, I was really unsettled at my family home and decided to up and move to London for a couple of months. I just hit that really awkward claustrophobic feeling of being too old to be at home and desperately needing some space.

My decision to move to London was a fairly quick one, and also tainted the ‘most wonderful time of the year’. Whilst I’m excited to move to London and start a new chapter of my life, I was also sad that due to the circumstance I didn’t feel like I had a choice other than to move out.

I was pouring so much time into finding somewhere to live, that my blog massively took a back seat.

It didn’t feel like a priority.

Not only that, my head just wasn’t in the right place to sit down and write to you all.

I didn’t feel overly happy and I didn’t want to reflect that in my posts. Whilst I know we all have down days and it’s perfectly normal to feel sad, it just didn’t feel right. I felt like I was failing myself, and you guys by not posting, but I knew it just had to be done. A break was well and truly needed.

I decided to do bare minimum when it came to my social media and emails to keep me ticking over but it was so nice to step away for a while and re-charge my batteries.

I also felt like I’d massively hit a brick wall with my blog. The ‘bloggers block’ as some like to call it, it’s a horrible thing to come up against. I felt like I wasn’t good enough, I wasn’t being organised and making the most of my time off. My content didn’t feel up to scratch.

I became so sick of conforming. Trying to stylise my blog and fit in so people would want to follow me and read. I became tired of trying to make my pictures look beautiful and Pinterest-worthy.

During this time away from blogging it’s made me realise that I’m done with confirming. A while back I started to stylise my Instagram and used borders for everything, I’d feel really anxious that my pictures weren’t good enough to post.

I’ve decided that this year I’m done with that.

I want my blog to feel real. To be me. I want to connect with you guys on a whole new level, I want to talk to you like you’re my friends. Because you are. I want to hear what you love, and what you don’t particularly like. Is there anything I can help you with? Blog wise or personal?

I want my blog to be a platform where I can communicate with you all. I want to stop worrying about if my pictures are ‘pretty’ enough, or if they’ll get enough likes. I want this blog and my channels to portray the real me, even if they don’t fit in with my Instagram ‘grid’. SOZ BOUT IT.

Tomorrow I’m moving to London and this week I’ll have a new design going live on my blog. I’m so incredibly excited for a new chapter, I can’t wait to spend lots of time shooting outfits and catching up with friends. I’m also useless when it comes to London, so if you want to grab some cake and play tour guide, I’m open to offers!

It feels so, so good to be back and now my head is clear, I feel ready to come back to work and knuckle down, creating content that you guys love to read. I really want to up my game with imagery, editing and writing this year, so my aim is to better myself, and in return better my blog.

This was a really weird period of my life and at times it really did feel like I was drowning, like everything was a little overwhelming, so retreating and almost shutting it down was easier than facing up to everything. It did me good, to take a step back and come at it again with a fresh outlook. I was so very fortunate to have someone special by my side during this time, holding my hand to guide me and to pick me back up when I was down. But, more on that soon ladies! 😉

I’m hoping you guys stick around for the journey, and I want to thank every single one of you for staying with me thus far, it means the world!

1. glenka 10th January 2016 / 4:08 pm

It sounds like you have had a tough time lately but hopefully this move to London will just what you need. Look forward to seeing where you take you blog next.
    Take care and all the best.

2. Rebecca 10th January 2016 / 5:45 pm

Good luck with the move – sounds like you definitely need a clean break and a fresh start fir the new year! Let me know if you fancy a coffee in Shoreditch sometime soon, would be lovely to catch up! x Rebecca – itscohen.co.uk

3. More MindfulYou 10th January 2016 / 6:28 pm

So glad you're feeling better! 🙂

moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

4. Leigh Travers 10th January 2016 / 6:43 pm

I hope you're feeling a little more positive now, lovely lady. If it's any consolation, your blog is certainly one of my favourites!

It's really easy to get sucked into an obsession with making everything Pinterest perfect. I recently had the same realisation with my own Instagram, as I attempted the minimalist picture grids for a little while, but they really just don't suit my own creative flow and personality… so, I scrapped it! I think you've hit the nail on the head with trying to conform to a certain blogger uniform and style, but what's wonderful is that we're all so different and we should use our blogs as a platform to express no one but ourselves.

London will be an incredible, fast-paced and exciting adventure for you. I wish you the best of luck with the move! Keep your chin up, girl ♥

5. Patricia Rosas 10th January 2016 / 7:19 pm

Sending lots of love. I'm sure this new chapter in your life will be brilliant! I understand what you mean about the bloggers block; it's happened to me quite a few times, always at important life moments or changes. We all look forward to reading your new posts and seeing your photos this year! Would love to meet up with you in London! xx

6. alannah 10th January 2016 / 7:52 pm

Hayley, I'm usually a silent non-commenting reader but I just wanted to say I really love your wordy posts – they're always so real, genuine and heartfelt.
    Good luck with your move – I'm moving to London soon too (and I'm always free for cake!) 😉

7. Jade Wylde 10th January 2016 / 9:51 pm

Good luck with the move! 🙂
    I know what you mean when you say it feels like you're drowning, I've never been able to put it into words before but that works perfectly.
    All the best for 2016 🙂

8. Frey de Fleur 10th January 2016 / 11:38 pm

That's so exciting that you're moving Hayley! I hope you've found somewhere lovely. We all read your blog for YOU so any more of the girl we know in your writing and photos is welcome by me xx

Freya | http://www.freydefleur.com

9. Rush & Teal 11th January 2016 / 9:00 am

Best of luck with the move, hope It brings you all the happiness!
    and welcome back to blogging!

Allie | Rush + Teal

10. Erin 24th January 2016 / 10:51 pm

We all love you! We follow you because we want to follow your story, hear your thoughts and experience your experiences, not because you post to a schedule, or your Instagram has a theme, but because we like you for who you are. It’s your blog, it’s your Instagram and it’s your life – it should reflect you at whatever stage you are at – so no pressure. Stop putting so much on yourself, post what makes you happy, what you are passionate about and no one will go anywhere. I’m happy to see you are moving on, London will be incredible! 2016 will be the best one yet, fresh city, fresh start! Can’t wait to see what this year brings! Ps. Love the new blog layout!

“Sometimes things have to go wrong in order to go right”