A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A BLOGGER

The other day Josie and I were dragging our suitcases around London stuffed full of outfits to shoot and we were joking about ‘if only people could see this side of blogging’ – whilst standing on a plush South West London road getting changed with clothes strewn all around us no less! People always assume bloggers lead such glamorous lives, trotting from one event to the other, sipping on champagne all the time – don’t get me wrong there are so many amazing perks but what people don’t see is the moment we get home, put our pj’s on, whip our hair up (and bra off) and stay up until early hours of the morning finishing content, scheduling and trying to keep on top of admin.

It’s funny when I meet new people and tell them I’m a blogger they always say ‘wow, you get sent to much free stuff’ which in essence is true but a lot of people don’t realise the amount of hard work that goes into maintaining a blog whilst consistently trying to expand and work with new brands. I thought it might be quite nice to show you an insight into my daily life – I work three days a week for an agency in London but two days I work from home on my blog – one day is always spent in London at events, meetings and catching up with bloggers and brands and the other I work at home. I’m forever rushing around and running out of time, it’s so hard to stay on top (kudos to you bloggers who work full time!) so here’s a little insight to my day yesterday…

8am: Headed to Virgin Active for an hours workout to kick start my day.

9.30am: Arrived home to shower and wash my hair, then to get ready for a blog shoot.

10.30am: I headed out to style a La Redoute dress five different ways, it was such a lovely sunny day – perfect for shooting!

12.00am: Quick pit stop at Costa for a hot chocolate and brownie (hungry work all that shooting!)

1.00pm: I headed home to select the images I wanted to use, edit them on Photoshop and send them over to the brand.

2.30pm: Work on yesterday’s blog post and schedule. Brainstorm post ideas for the week and take images for my posts, take pictures for Instagram to save for busier days.

4.00pm: Sit down to work my way through emails and write copy for my blog posts.

5.30pm: Work on blog admin, design and order new business cards, schedule social media posts in for the next 3 days.

7.30pm: Head out for dinner with my family to catch up.

Here’s a snippet of one of my ‘blog’ days but it honestly does vary so much, some days I’ll be in London from 10am – 9pm and other days I won’t leave the house where I’ll have so much planning, scheduling and replying to do. Other days I get to do more fun stuff like shoot outfit posts, attend events or catch up with some blogger pals – everyday is completely different which I love! I’m working on a behind the scenes/blooper post which I think will be really funny so you can see how silly we look snapping our meals in restaurants or our ‘daily downs’ in the middle of the street haha!

What do you do on your blogging days? Does it vary much from mine?

1. Emma Matthews 9th April 2015 / 2:52 pm

Lovely rundown! It's always nice to see what other bloggers get up to throughout the day. Editing photos takes up so much of my time, but it's always worth it when you create a post you're really proud of!

Emma
    BEAUTY AND RAGS

• Hayley Rubery 13th April 2015 / 10:13 am

Thanks for the lovely feedback! Yes it definitely does, it's all a long process but a rewarding one no less! x

2. Heather McKnight 9th April 2015 / 3:18 pm

I love this post! There is definitely this misconception about bloggers leading these glamorous lifestyles. I adore the perks of the job, but in my case hobby, and wouldn't trade the experience for the world. It is however a lot of hard work and I think people need to open their eyes to just how much bloggers do on a daily basis!

Heather, porcelainbeautyx

• Hayley Rubery 13th April 2015 / 10:13 am

Thank you lovely! Definitely agree, there are so many perks but it requires a lot of hard work and organisation! x

3. Jackie 9th April 2015 / 3:53 pm

I totally relate to this and this was such a fun post. I just got home from an outfit shoot in the city and the stares I get. I do my blog photos in the early evening and work till night getting the rest done. I can't be bothered getting up early I function only after lunch.

Jackie | fashionxfairytale | bloglovin' |

• Hayley Rubery 13th April 2015 / 10:14 am

Thanks for your lovely feedback Jackie! I'm exactly the same, I'm not really a morning person but instead I'll work until late! x

• Hayley Rubery 13th April 2015 / 10:14 am

Thanks lovely! It will be coming next week ๐Ÿ™‚ x

• Hayley Rubery 13th April 2015 / 10:15 am

I completely agree Jenna, so many aspects to juggle in order to succeed! x

4. Kristina Averina 9th April 2015 / 7:55 pm

Oh how I loove such posts! My blog isn't my work right now as it was started not too much time ago but I've spent a lot time on it just choosing a design and other things and I always spend about two or three hours to edit pictures and to write a post as I always write in english and it's my second language:)

It was cool to read about your day:)
    xx

mynameiskristina blog

• Hayley Rubery 13th April 2015 / 10:15 am

Thank you Kristina! Definitely the whole process takes a fair while – especially editing! x

5. Shannon P 9th April 2015 / 8:02 pm

I love this! its so true about the food, I get some right funny looks when I get my meal and I take about 5/6 photo's of it to get the 'right' one :L Looking forward to the bloopers post! I've had a few disasters – normally in the baking department :))

• Hayley Rubery 13th April 2015 / 10:16 am

Haha me too, my boyfriend gets so embarrassed but I'm like 'it's part of the job' haha ๐Ÿ˜‰ It will go live next week lovely so keep an eye out for that ๐Ÿ™‚ x

6. Vicky 11th April 2015 / 1:09 pm

Loved this. It's lovely seeing an accomplished blogger routine too. I work full time but I'm not very accomplished blogging at the moment so luckily it's just photos, editing, content writing and marketing for me. Still keeps me busy though! Victoria xx thedaisyjaynes.com

• Hayley Rubery 13th April 2015 / 10:17 am

Thank you Vicky – whether you blog full time, part time or once a week, it still requires hard work and organisation from all of us, keep up the good work lovely! x

7. Josie 11th April 2015 / 1:58 pm

Haha I love this post! So funny to note down all of the less glamorous sides of blogging! Including falling flat on your face in Chelsea… wearing flats…ahem ๐Ÿ˜‰

xoxo

• Hayley Rubery 13th April 2015 / 10:18 am

Haha oh babes! That might have to make a mention ๐Ÿ˜‰ xx

8. The Stylopedia 19th April 2015 / 7:52 pm

I shot eight outfits in the FREEZING cold one day, trying not to look tense in my photos due to the cold wind, and changed in my car for each outfit. I've decided not to do that again!