WHY WE SHOULD STOP BODY SHAMING AND START BEING KINDER

This is a topic that I’ve wanted to address for a while and I read an article the other day that triggered a deep anger in me and it’s time we put a stop to body shaming, no matter your size – we are all beautiful and it’s about time we helped build each other’s confidence rather than knocking people down. During fashion week a PR company called Taking Shape set up ‘skinny bird watching’, where their team dressed up as bird watchers and took to the cobbles at Somerset House to ‘skinny bird watch’. When I read this article I couldn’t believe what I was reading, the company have had a severe backlash from this campaign which they claim was ‘in jest’, It was meant to be a light hearted campaign which has back fired, fair enough we all get it wrong from time to time but I just feel the message behind this campaign is what unsettles me most.
Why are we trying to out ‘skinny girls’ like it’s a bad thing? For years people have thrown around words carelessly about each others figures; ‘fat’, ‘anorexic’, ‘chubby’, ‘too thin’ and it’s time to ask ourselves why – why is it okay to judge people for the way they look? To call them names and make them feel self conscious? I have friends who are naturally a size 6 and have confidence issues because they don’t feel womanly enough, on the other hand I have friends who are a size 16+ and feel like they aren’t sexy and overweight. It’s about time we ask ourselves, does size really matter? To me, it doesn’t. Many people have walked into my life of all shapes and sizes, and it’s their personalities, their souls that leave a mark on my life, not what clothes size they wear.
Heck, why do we even torture ourselves about clothes sizes?! In one shop I’m a size 10, but another I’m a 14 because the god damn blouse won’t do up over my boobs (this makes me feel bad about myself and so I don’t by the blouse). It’s time that we learn to love ourselves and each other, no matter what size we are, because after all size is just a number – it doesn’t define us. Everyone needs to stop outing people for being ‘too fat’ or ‘too thin’ because it isn’t our place to be the judgement of that, be kind to people and help build their confidence so they can love themselves regardless of their size!

• Hayley Rubery 3rd March 2015 / 2:36 pm

Completely agree Jackie! So glad to hear you enjoyed reading this post 🙂 x

1. Brittany Alana 1st March 2015 / 4:23 pm

I can't believe some company thought "skinny bird watching" was an okay campaign, even in jest.

This is such a powerful post. Society as a whole really needs to stop throwing around labels that only end up hurting people.

Brittany x | http://www.bringingupbrittanyblog.blogspot.com

• Hayley Rubery 3rd March 2015 / 2:37 pm

I know, I was so disgusted when I saw it – completely out of line!

Thank you, I completely agree! x

2. Amanda H 1st March 2015 / 4:28 pm

I absolutely love this. Size can have a huge impact on peoples confidence and it shouldn't. We all have different genetics that in some ways make us the way we are. I think it's so important to love you for you and love the skin you're in. It's easy to care what other people think but the ones that are rude and negative don't deserve your time x

Amanda / Amanda's Escape

• Hayley Rubery 3rd March 2015 / 2:38 pm

Thank you Amanda, it's so nice to hear that you enjoyed this post. I couldn't agree more, I've never understood people who can't be nice to others, it doesn't take much! x

3. Evie Elliott 1st March 2015 / 7:55 pm

I agree with this so much. Being a teenager and going to a girls school, i feel constant pressure to look a certain way. Teen magazines tell you to love your body but only show very skinny girls. It's taken a while but i honestly couldn't care less that i will never be a size 0. Going on the look out for skinny girls is just wrong.

evie-dylan.blogspot.co.uk

• Hayley Rubery 3rd March 2015 / 2:46 pm

Thank you so much for leaving this honest comment Evie. Teenage years are always the hardest and there is so much pressure whilst at school/college! x